This is my inaugural Works-For-Me Wednesday. Read more about it at RocksInMyDryer
Here's my tip:
My keyless remote for my 2002 Yukon XL died recently. Not battery-dead, really dead. In trying to replace the battery I broke the little piece that held the battery inside it, totally screwing it up. Totally not fixable.
I called my local GMC dealer to see about replacing it. The price for a new one was over $400, so I thought I was out of luck.
Now that I have 3 kids, one of which is carried around in a infant seat, a remote has become oh-so-important. So one day I checked E-bay. I found and bought one that matched my truck (same FCC ID) for $16.95 + 6.95 shipping. That's right, $23.90 total. A little less than $400!
I have to program it myself, but the instructions seem simple:
For most 02 GMC trucks:
- get in truck and close doors
- insert key in ignition
- press and hold unlock button on driver's door
- turn vehicle on and off (as far as you can without starting) twice
- release lock button on door. should unlock and lock to indicate programming mode
- hold lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on remote you want to use. Make sure it is the correct code for the vehicle year. Repeat #'s 5& 6 for additional remotes\.
- Then turn the ignition key on and off to end the programming mode.
Check out the other fantastic ideas at Rocks in my Dryer. Have a great week.
UPDATE: I got my remote in the mail, and followed the instructions above to program it. The programming took all of 30 seconds, and it works PERFECTLY! I am so happy with it I ordered another for my husband, whose had lost his.