Saturday, September 5, 2009

Our Trip Down South

Just got back from a week in South Carolina visiting my in-laws.

For the most part, the weather was gorgeous.

We actually were able to relax, thanks to Grandma's help.

She came to our place and would watch #3 while during lunch and nap time, which allowed us to relax at the beach and pool with Diva and Daredevil.

I actually got to read a book! I read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I know, the book has been out for 3 years, and Julia Roberts is now filming the movie.

But I don't get to read for pleasure much. I very much enjoyed the book and can't wait to see the movie.

Anyhoo, here are a few shots of our trip.




Here we are on a bike ride and are looking for alligators. They frequent the lagoons around the island.


There's one . . . a rather big one . . . exiting the water.


Now we are REALLY glad to be on bikes!

Behold our contraption to keep #3 happy on our hour long bike ride - a snack cup attached with string to the bike seat.

Worked like charm, I should patent it.


Posted by Picasa

One of #3's trips to the beach.

Usually she was hanging with Grandma in the nice cool house, not getting overheated and sunburned. It was darn hot.

But she liked the beach and, as usual, ate the sand.

Diva and Daredevil enjoyed the beach, as usual
Hunter wanted to take Diva and Daredevil on a shark-fishing trip.

Fishing & boats are not my thing, (I tend to get seasick) so I offered to stay behind with #3.

Then Super-Grandma showed up and said she'd watch #3 so I could
GO. DO.WHATEVER. I .WANT.

I went shopping! I had THREE WHOLE HOURS to myself!



Here, Diva waits to get on the boat.



Knocking back a few at the Salty Dog Cafe before going shark fishing.




Daredevil did some more skimboarding.

He even got some advice from a twenty-something guy on the beach who was REALLY GOOD.



Riding the waves! The water was gorgeous, clean and warm.

We had been warned of jellyfish, but never saw any.

Waves were kicked up from Hurricane Bill, and later Tropical Storm Danny.

We loved it, because there are usually NO waves in Hilton Head.


Walking around and looking at the LARGE yachts at Harbor Town.

The kids begged to go up the lighthouse, but they've done it a million times before.

Not to mention we are slackers, it's a lot of steps. And it ain't free.


Listening to Gregg Russell. He's been singing under this oak tree every summer, 6 nights a week, for 33 years.

I came to listen when I was a kid.

He puts on a great show, fun for parents and kids alike, especially when he makes fun of tourists and yuppie parents.

He said something especially meaningful this time . .

As he talked about his children and how they are almost grown up, he said this to parents:

"Hold on to them as long as you can. It goes by in a blink of an eye."


#3 liked the music and was dancing
<
So here we all are, waiting for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, the Crazy Crab.

I know, it's a rare picture of me. I don't like getting my picture taken, so there aren't many.

But we were very relaxed by the end of this week, so I relented.

NOW BACK TO THE REAL WORLD!

No comments: