Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Working Mothers don't love their kids enough?" WTF?

Yup, you heard that right. A friend of mine was in a local toy store this week and overheard the proprietor say "Mothers who work don't love their kids enough to stay home." Seriously. Are you kidding me?

This is a small higher-end toy store in our small suburban enclave. I don't go there often as it's a bit pricey, but I do occasionally stop there to pick up a a birthday party or baby gift when I don't have time to run around a big-box store. An added plus is that they beautifully gift wrap for free which is a boon for busy working parents.

I can't believe that someone actually follows this narrow, inane and very judgmental line of thinking. She's entitled to her opinion, of course, but why would she assert that view in full earshot of random shoppers? Who does she think buys her hoity toity overpriced toys?

Well, it will no longer be me. And judging by the comments my friend received on his Facebook post on the topic, a lot of others in our area won't either.

No comments: