Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm Back

OK, so I took a little blogging sabbatical. From the looks of my last post, snow was on the ground. Now spring has sprung.

Life's been crazy. I know that's no excuse since my life is always crazy, but I've had a little bit of writers' block as well. Just don't really know what direction I want this blog to go in.

Right now I'm leaning toward a more personal angle - rather than talking about issues, current events, etc - since that's what I feel most comfortable writing about.

So anyhoo - lots has been going on. We're in the throes of spring sports - baseball, softball, and of course karate, 3 dance classes, after-school activites (Girls on the Run and Odyssey of the Mind).

Today's a big day in our house. It's Diva's 10th birthday! Hunter and I reminisced last night about how 10 years ago we were so clueless. We had no idea what becoming a parent would really be like, and we had no clue how to take care of a baby. We talked about how much she has taught us, and how she changed our lives. We are so proud of the young lady she's turning into.

We are having a family party tonight where she will get her big present from us: her own cell phone. We finally caved in. Does she need one? Absolutely not. But we've been hearing about how ALL her friends have one - at first we didn't believe her, but they actually do all have cell phones. Nice ones - nicer than the one I had. So we trekked to the Verizon store yesterday to upgrade ours, add one for her, and see what kind of deal we could swing.

As it turns out, a pretty good one. Hunter and I got these cool Samsung Rogue touch-screen phones, and we got Erin an LG Cosmos, which they guy said is very popular for her age group. (This came from the same guy who told us we wouldn't belive how many people come in to buy Blackberries for their 7 and 8 year olds!)

Anyway, she thinks she is not getting one and is pretty bummed about it. We also got her some clothes, and clipped the phone to a pair of shorts that are on the bottom of the box of clothes. She was scoping out the wrapped gifts this morning, and I know her eye was scanning for a small box, which there wasn't. Can't wait to see the look on her face when she opens it!

I really wanted to do a montage of pictures of all of her birthdays, but I just haven't had time. I'm hoping that will be my next post.

In the meantime, here's a recent picture of our 10 year old baby. This was taken just after her team won the state Odyssey of the Mind competition

(Yes, that's a chicken hat. It's a Delaware thing. We are Blue Hens, after all!)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIVA! WE LOVE YOU TO PIECES!

1 comment:

Work from home business said...

That’s so funny about the cell phone thing! I am so with you! I let my 9 year old daughter have three friends overnight and all three had cell phones and most were better and nicer than my own. I couldn't believe it. I actually felt bad that I had been depriving my daughter of a phone when I wouldn't believe her that all her friends had phones. I work from home at my own business and don't really get out a ton to notice that every nine year old has a blackberry or iphone. Times have truly changed.