As I've said here before, New Year's Day is one of my favorite days. A fresh start, time to think about what I can do to make myself better - love it. I always make resolutions. And while most of the time I don't ever fully achieve them, they get me focused and moving in the right direction.
Looking back, while 2009 wasn't my favorite of years, it was a really good one. Hunter and I have good jobs we enjoy. The kids are healthy and happy, and we enjoyed #3's first year immensely. Our families are healthy. I'm grateful for all those things.
My friend Cat inspired me to reflect over what I DID accomplish in 2009, rather than obsess over what I DIDN'T.
Here's my top-ten list of Things I Accomplished in 2009:
1. I ran four 5-k races with Diva, improving our pace each time (even if it was only by seconds!).
2. I became a devotee of exercise classes, even summoning the nerve to try new ones I knew nothing about (like Body Combat!).
3. I became a regular at my gym at work, which very much helped my general stress level.
4. I got better at balancing my time between my kids, a challenge due to their differences in ages. (9, 7, and 1)
5. I got promoted to Vice President at work. This was a long time coming. Four years ago, they announced that paralegals at our company could be promoted to VP. But none in our location (which was acquired in a merger) had been, even though many of us have consistently met or exceeded the qualifications.
6. I read the entire Twilight series, plus about 20 other books, mostly non-fiction, thus learning, among other things, about Nichiren Buddhism, applying military strategy to every day life, ancient civilization, the Supreme Court, and the Gucci empire.
7. We finally took (older) kids to New York City for a day trip, like we've been talking about for a couple of years. Can't wait to go back.
8. We had a yard sale in the spring, as well as gave two pickup truck loads of clothes, toys, etc. to Goodwill and the Order of the Purple Heart. I also gave some of Daredevil's old clothes to my sister in law, accepting finally that I'm not going to be having any more babies.
9. Recently cleaned out and reorganized my kids' playroom, filling up 3 hefty bags with junk and boxing up scads of stuff for Goodwill and/or our next yard sale, also making it safe(r) for our 1 year old. This was quite an undertaking - wish I'd taken before and after pictures.
10. Kept up with my blogs, learning more and more about it all the time.
So, for 2010, here is my top 10 list of things I want to work on. They aren't all-or-nothings, and some are little steps that I hope help me achieve a larger goal over time (i.e., lose 30 pounds, have more money, have a beautiful sparkling organized house, etc.)...
In 2010, I resolve to . . .
1. Pack my lunch for work more (and thus controlling my portions and costs)
2. Use my crock pot more (and thus do more planning in advance)
3. Drink less soda, eat less meat, eat more fruits/vegetables
4. Keep up with my blogs and make them look better
5. Run longer races, like 5 milers or maybe even a 10k, and make my 5k pace better
6. Ruthlessly attack the the clutter disaster that is my basement
7. Plan vacations that are as relaxing as possible
8. Have more date nights with my husband (goal is one a month, right now it's one or two a year.)
9. Do a better job of keeping my house clean (hello, FlyLady!)
10.Be kinder to myself and others.
So that's it. I'm feeling good and full of optimism and hope for 2010. To see what inspired my new-found positivity, check out Cat's blog here.
May you have health, happiness and prosperity in 2010!